vrijdag 1 september 2017

Picture Perfect

Jodi Arias: Yeah, that's when the gun went off.


And an excuse:

"An he's screaming angry. He had already almost killed me," she testified.

For those who loved him, the thought that Travis Alexander somehow had it coming to him was the final crime against a murdered man.

"She slaughtered him on June fourth, and then she slaughtered him everyday for the last five years with the lies that she's told," said Sky Hughes.

After three days of deliberations there was a verdict:

The State of Arizona versus Jodi Ann Arias, verdict, count one. We the jury duly impaneled and sworn in the above and type of action upon our oaths do find the defendant, as to count one, first-degree murder, guilty.

Guilty of first-degree murder -- the highest charge the jury had.

Justice, and what it would finally look like, would depend on just which Jodi Arias the jury in this tense Phoenix courtroom ultimately bought into.

The death penalty was now on the table. Jody Arias seemed shocked, holding back tears of sadness. Travis' family could not hold back their tears of joy.

"I'd rather have Travis Alexander back. I'd rather have my buddy back, but we can't have him back so I'm as happy as I can be given the circumstances," said Chris Hughes.

A week after the verdict, the sentencing phase begins with the prosecutor trying to convince the jury Jodi Arias deserves death.

"The last thing that Mr. Alexander felt was this knife coming towards him," said Martinez.

The first decision comes quickly. The jury rules the murder was "especially cruel," clearing the way for the penalty phase.

On Thursday, May 16, the jury heard from those who loved Travis Alexander.

"Why him? Unfortunately I won't get an answer to my questions, like how much did he suffer?" said his brother, Stephen.

"Travis was not shy. He was full of life," said Samantha.

And the jury heard from the defense, that Arias would testify one more time.

"And talk to you about how she viewed her life," Kirk Nurmi told jurors.

That should be next week, when we may also find out whether Jodi Arias lives in an Arizona prison for a minimum of 25 years or dies there.

Four years ago she seemed to sense her fate.

"If I had my choice I would take the death penalty because I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison," Arias told "48 Hours".

After her guilty verdict, Arias seemed almost wistful in talking to a local reporter.

"I believe death is the ultimate freedom so I'd rather just have my freedom - as soon as I can get it," she said.

Freedom wasn't an option for Travis Alexander. He is buried in Riverside, Calif.; his image silent and cold, carved in his head stone.

And soon we'll see if Jodi Arias gets her wish ... joining three other women on Arizona's death row and perhaps making one final headline, becoming the first woman executed in that state since 1930.

If Jodi Arias is given the death penalty, there will be at least one mandatory appeal. It could take to 20 years to carry out her sentence.

If sentenced to death, Arias will spend 23 hours a day in solitary confinement.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten